The strategy will assess the feasibility of the pit lake rehabilitation option for the three mines from a regional perspective.
The strategy will define the goals to be achieved for the rehabilitation of the three mines. These goals will be high-level rather than prescriptive but will provide clear direction to the mine licensees, the community and government on:
- acceptable approaches to rehabilitation
- expected outcomes from the rehabilitation in terms of the limits to be placed on any impacts arising from rehabilitation
- the opportunities for future beneficial use of the land and water bodies that may be developed through rehabilitation
- coordination of rehabilitation and the oversight of the rehabilitation processes
- the approach to managing long term monitoring, maintenance and reporting of rehabilitation outcomes
- the financial and organisational provisions required to support effective rehabilitation and management of any long term liabilities arising from the rehabilitation.